By the time the kids were finished most of the free wall space and windows were covered in hearts. Next, it was time for our Valentine breakfast . . . .
Strawberry Waffles, and Strawberry Smoothies on the menu.
The kids were so excited to eat on the China and use the special Champagne glasses!
We paused the celebrations for a moment, since it was clean day, to get our chores done. Rats!! Mom is no fun sometimes!
Then it was back to baking and crafting.
We found that it is RSV season at the hospital and discovered four sick children that could use some Valentine cheer. The kids got to work making the best Valentines ever. We added some treats and stuffed friends to keep the little one's company during their hospital stay. We were so busy creating that we forgot to take very many pictures. I did get this one of CJ, so proud of his valentine creation.
We decided that while we were at it we might as well bring some love to the Retirement Home and some neighbors. MJ baked scrumptious Sugar Cookies and Jelly Cupcakes for us to decorate. We added them to the paper valentines and were on our way to deliver.

We were disappointed to learn that we could not deliver them personally to the children in the hospital. It's the policy during RSV season so as not to spread more germs. We were assured however, by the nurses, that the children would receive them and were bound to enjoy them!
Next we stopped at the Retirement Center. The kids were surprised by the smell and I had to explain to them that because they were so old, it was hard for them to get to the bathroom at times (somebody just shoot me when I get like that please)! Some of them were also sick. Most of the people we visited really enjoyed the kids and gifts. We stopped at each room. We asked if we could give them a Valentine and sing to them. They loved seeing LJ dance while we sang. I was so proud of my kids! Watching them so enthusiastic about serving made me choke up and teary; especially when they sang "Love at Home"(rewards of a Momma).
There were a couple patrons who were a little grouchy. The kids and I talked about how service isn't always comfortable and it's not always appreciated like we hope. But, we do it all the same because it is what the Savior would do. We delivered our last Valentine to the missionaries. I think the kids liked that part best!
Finally at 9:00p.m it was time to pick up dinner and hang up our cupid wings. The kids were grateful to receive Valentines from me before they went to bed.
Last but not least we couldn't forget to make some treats for ourselves! It was worth it all when I overheard the kids exclaim that this was the best Valentines Day Ever!
I was glad to be so busy to keep my mind off missing my sweet Valentine. Jer is doing work for a health clinic 5 hours away until we choose what we want to do permanently for our future. We are so grateful to have many options. We're just being careful and prayerful to make the right decision. Until then, we see Jer on the weekends. We are lucky to have a dad and husband that works so hard for us.
We hope you all had a very Happy Valentine's Day from our house to yours.
p.s. I just looked around my before I came to bed and observed that it looks as if Valentines Day threw up all over our house: stickers, paper, cookies, frosting, sprinkles and glue from floor to ceiling. I tried to lessen the damage until I hit a wall (energy level zero). Oh, well tomorrow is another day! Please forgive any typos as I can not see straight at this point but had to get this all down before I forgot it all.





2 comments:
What a great thing you did with your kids for Valentine's Day. That is awesome that you did all those wonderful acts of service. Your kids are going to grow up being very thoughtful adults.
You are quite the woman doing all this without Jeremy!! You go girl!
Awesome! What a fabulous way to spend Valentine's Day!
Post a Comment