Thursday, February 18, 2010

So humbled, So grateful

   My heart is full today and I feel so humbled.  I had a sudden impression that a dear friend of mine from way back was in trouble.  It was an odd feeling because I hadn't talked to her for ages and I had no reason to believe that she would be in trouble.  I decided to call her.  I was shocked to learn that she was having a life crisis(no fault of her own).  She is one of the most on-the-ball people I know;  those kind of families that you know will always be fine and doing well.  However, life has many twists and turns.  Evil is at work full force I feel, and even the best of the best are struggling.
     I listened and was able to hear and help someone that I love.  I didn't know what to say or do.  I was in shock.  I was silently praying the whole time while we were conversing;  desperately hoping that I would say and do the right things at such a crucial time in this beautiful woman's life.  I actually know a wonderful family who had gone through similar tribulations.  I set it up for them to talk on the phone.
   Everything my troubled friend's family and loved ones had been trying to tell her for months had not sunk in.  But somehow coming from people that had gone through the same trials as she was, made all the difference.  Finally after a three year nightmare she had the courage to take the steps she needed to overcome her situation.
   I am truly grateful and humbled to have had this opportunity and know that it had nothing to do with me.  It was the combination of the spirit and the ability of loving people willing to share and listen to a perfect stranger who was in need.  
  The more people I get to know, the more I learn that EVERYONE has trials and weaknesses and more often than not they are big trials not little ones.  We are all in this together.  We're all struggling to make it through this life.  Not one of us is immune.  How it blesses our own lives when we are willing to reach out and simply love a sister or brother despite their actions, weaknesses, or situation.
   There has been so many times in my life where someone has called at just the right time or sent a quick note;  A perfect lesson was given at church, or a perfect comment was made and a true friend was sent to love and listen. So many times I have felt that angels were sent my way through common every day people at just the right time and place.  If I could give back in some small way it is a humbling honor to say the least.

I am grateful for prayers so sweet
for premonitions subtle, yet deep.
For watching eyes of God above
who knows each person that I love

For the very real presence of the spirit  divine
that guides and prods and enlightens the mind
For teaching moments and answers to prayer
For words to say and the strength to bear

For blessings that come just in time
to crumpled souls that cannot climb
For a hand to hold on the paths assent
For a guide to follow and direction leant

For peace that quiets a wrenching heart
For faith and resolve when logic parts
For patience to wait for wounds to heal
For the power to forgive and the desire to kneel

I am grateful for angels wings
that ease our burden and soften the sting
for the rays of light in the storms we face
that give us hope of a better place

Jill Sorhus

3 comments:

craptasticcancer.blogspot.com said...

You are such a good person Jill. I loved your story and am glad that you were able to help your friend!

Alli said...

What a wonderful sentiment - you said it perfectly and reminded me of times I've been blessed by others' thoughtfulness and willingness to listen to the Spirit.

Dianne said...

It's so nice to give back, and you truly are a dear friend to others. Great, inspiring post.